- SMALLHOLM, a hamlet, in the parish of Lochmaben, county of Dumfries, 3½ miles (S. S. E.) from the town of Lochmaben; containing 82 inhabitants. It is situated on the west bank of the Annan, in the south-east quarter of the parish, and on the high road from Lochmaben to Annan. This is one of the four villages forming the ancient barony of Fourtowns, the tract comprising which is of remarkable fertility. The tenants of the lands around the villages were formerly called the "King's tenants," and the "Crown's rentallers," the property having constituted part of the original royal domains, or proper patrimony of the crown. It was incumbent on the tenants to furnish provisions and other necessaries for the use of the royal fortress of Lochmaben, and it is probable that the tenants themselves composed the garrison of the castle, which existed as a border defence till the union of the crowns. The population of the village of Smallholm is exclusively agricultural.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Lochmaben — LOCHMABEN, a royal burgh, the seat of a presbytery, and a parish, in the county of Dumfries, 8½ miles (E.N.E.) from Dumfries, and 68 (S. by W.) from Edinburgh, containing, with the hamlets of Greenhill, Heck, and Smallholm, and the villages of … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland